Skip to main content

Windows Azure Websites - Shared and Reserved mode

I think that we all of us already heard about Windows Azure Websites. This new feature of Windows Azure offers us the possibility to deploy websites very fast. Even for the first deploy, the deploy time can be very low.
What I would like to talk about today is the two different modes of Websites. The first one is Shared Website Mode. What does it means is that we don’t have a dedicated compute power. All the processor power is shared between our websites and other websites. From the performance perspective the performance will not be great. Is like hosting the websites to a classic hosting, that for 400$ per year host your application on IIS.
The other mode is the Reserved one. For this case we have dedicated resources that are allocated only to our application. We don’t share processor, memory or anything else. For this case we have 3 types of sizes (Small, Medium, Large) that we can set. Also we can specify the numbers of reserved instances from 1 to 3.
An interesting thing at Reserved mode is that even if we have dedicated resources we don’t have control to the machine. Our application is hosted on the IIS. This is why when we create a website on Windows Azure, the initializing time is very very low. For each reserved size, in this moment we have the following resources allocated: 1, 2, 4 cores and 1.75, 3.5, 7GB memory. The storage space is the same for all, 10GB.
Let’s wee when we could use Shared and Reserved mode. For the case when we create a demo application, or we have a blog or a site that is not very visited we can use Shared mode. When the traffic increases we should go with Reserved mode. A nice there will be a moment when we will not be able to use the website because our application need more resources and we will need to use a web role. The switch between them is not so simple if we didn’t use a web role until now. In the future I expect some tools that will make this migration automatically for users.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…