Skip to main content

How to use local configuration in a Metro App

Today I want to talk about where we can store application configuration in a Metro App for Windows 8. Basically, we don't have app.config file and because of this we need to "re-learn" how to store the application configuration.

The entire configuration can be stored in the application storage under "LocalSettings". The default location where we can store and retrieve the configuration data is "Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalSettings". In the next example we add "MaxValue" to the LocalSettings and after that retrive it:

Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalSettings.Values["MaxValue"] = 100;
string maxValue = Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalSettings.Values["MaxValue"] = 100;

Another thing that we can do with the LocaSettings is to create containers that can be used to group different settings. We can create unlimited number of containers with different settings. We cannot have two different containers with the same name, but we can have in two different containers items with the same name.

LocalSettings.CreateContainer("MyContainer", ApplicationDataCreateDisposition.Always);
LocalSettings.Containers["MyContainer"].Values["MaxValue"] = 100;
LocalSettings.CreateContainer("FooContainer", ApplicationDataCreateDisposition.Always);
LocalSettings.Containers["FooContainer"].Values["MaxValue"] = 100;
var maxValueFromMyContainer = LocalSettings.Containers["MyContainer"].Values["MaxValue"];
var maxValueFromFooContainer = LocalSettings.Containers["FooContainer"].Values["MaxValue"];

In this example I created two containers and added a configuration item.

What we should know about these configurations is that they are persisting between sessions. We need the values of them only for the first time when the application is started. After this we will be able to retrieve this data from the settings. We don't need to load this value from a configuration file and set them.

Don't forget that this functionality exists.


Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.