Skip to main content

WOWZAPP2012 - Awesome Hackathon

 This weekend, all around the word we had WOWZAPP Hackathon.  This Windows 8 Hackathon was a 48 marathon of Windows 8 App development. Over 15.000 people were connected with Visual Studio 2012 and develop great application for the new operating system – Windows 8.
I participate at this event with other 3 colleges and we develop an application that could help you to find location when you don’t have internet connection. We didn’t manage to finish it, we tried to apply MVVM pattern 100%. Our main focus was the code quality and not to finish in 48h. The team name was DOTNET Vampires and team member were: Costin Morariu, Iulia Gorcea, Alexandra Vunvulea and @me.
This was a great event and we had a lot of fun. In Bucharest, we had almost 40 team. At this event I was not only as a percipient, I was part of the Windows 8 SWAT team. We were the persons that offered technical support for all teams. I think that almost all project had at least 3 lines of code written by me. It was a lot of fun switching between C#/XAML to JavaScript/HTML5 in 5 seconds. We tried to help all the teams from Hackathon.
In the second day of this event I had a session about Windows 8 developing process and what were the problems during developing of Trip Journal for Windows 8. It was a lot of fun because the session started around 10PM, and a lot of guys were already without one sleepless night.
In the last day of the event I was part of the jury who chose the winning application. I saw a lot of great applications and it was a really hard thing to do. I was very happy to see that one of my job colleges was on podium and won a Windows 8 tablet.
Good job Timotei Dolean! You made a great application for Romanian roads. I can’t wait to see it in the store. The current version of the application is in top 6 applications in Windows Phone Marketplace.
In conclusion we had a lot of fun and we tried to share our knowledge with everyone. See you next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…