Skip to main content

C# error at compile time challenge

Problem:
I have a challenge for you. You will find at the end of thispost a link to a zip that contains a .NET 4.0 projects. The challenge is tomake this project to compile and give me the cause of the problem. I will letyou until Friday morning.
Good luck.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BB7D9F52E4FDB024!259&authkey=!APfTPi6HWX0VJQg


Solution:
In the ‘class’ word from the Foo class we had an odd character for Unicode world. The character named is ‘Zero with space’. Is like a space between words but without a visible space (width). Because Visual Studio can process also Unicode files, we have no limitation to add Unicode characters that are not visible using a normal editor. If we open the file with Total Commander viewer for example we will be able to see the character (in hex view for example).
Nice job :-)

Comments

  1. Hehe, simple one.

    When in doubt, retype the text. The problem is with the keyword "class". For example, if you put the cursor at the end of "class", and press CTRL+Left (that is, jump over one word), it will jump INSIDE the class, after the 'l' char.

    Looking at the source with a HEX Viewer we see:
    cl​ass . That is the ANSI representation. There is some UTF-8 garbage in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are almost there. You need to tell me what is that character? What represents?

      Delete
    2. U+200B

      Unicode line break:
      http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/200b/index.htm

      Probably from some weird editor/another operating system

      Delete
    3. Nice - the file is UTF-16 encoded (big endian), that is ok.. Word has the habit to insert zero-width-spaces sometimes.. :)

      Delete
  2. I think that the file is encoded in ANSI and the "a" character in "class" is "â" which isn't a latin character. The ANSI encoded file permits to use characters from other alphabets not only latins character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added the solution to the post. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…