Skip to main content

Azure Service Fabric: State of an Actor is not persisted | Actor ID

We have in our Azure Service Fabric cluster an actor called SmsActorService that haves a method that allow us to get the next SMS.
The actor works great, when we want to send an SMS to our actor works great, but when we want to get a SMS, surprise, we have null reference exception when we want to access the actor state.

Send SMS to actor
 IAct0r mobileDevice = ActorProxy.Create<IAct0r>(
                        new ActorId(smsToSent.Value.PhoneNumber),
                        new Uri("fabric:/ITCamp.SF/Act0rActorService"));

                    await mobileDevice.ReceiveSmsAsync(smsToSent.Value);

Get SMS from actor
int id = 1000;
IAct0r mobileDevice = ActorProxy.Create<IAct0r>(
                new ActorId(id),
                new Uri("fabric:/ITCamp.SF/Act0rActorService"));
Sms sms = mobileDevice.GetNextSms().Result;

Even if we know that we already created the actor with the given ID and we have our state saved, when we access it, surprise, the state is not set. It's like we just created our actor for the first time.

After a few minutes of debugging, we identify the problem. When we send the SMS to our actor, we specify the Actor ID as a string (PhoneNumber). When we want to access the actor in the second call, we specify the Actor ID as int.
This is enough for Azure Service Fabric to create two different instances of actors. One that has ID 1000 (long) and another one that has ID '1000' (as string).

The problem can be solved easily by converting both ID to the same time. I recommend to use only string because is more safe for long time and you will never ask yourself if others used long, string or GUID.
int id = 1000;
IAct0r mobileDevice = ActorProxy.Create<IAct0r>(
                new ActorId(id.ToString()),
                new Uri("fabric:/ITCamp.SF/Act0rActorService"));
Sms sms = mobileDevice.GetNextSms().Result;


  1. Ahhh ! Been struggling with this for an hour, thanks !!!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Run native .NET application in Docker (.NET Framework 4.6.2)

The main scope of this post is to see how we can run a legacy application written in .NET Framework in Docker.

First of all, let’s define what is a legacy application in our context. By a legacy application we understand an application that runs .NET Framework 3.5 or higher in a production environment where we don’t have any more the people or documentation that would help us to understand what is happening behind the scene.
In this scenarios, you might want to migrate the current solution from a standard environment to Docker. There are many advantages for such a migration, like:

Continuous DeploymentTestingIsolationSecurity at container levelVersioning ControlEnvironment Standardization
Until now, we didn’t had the possibility to run a .NET application in Docker. With .NET Core, there was support for .NET Core in Docker, but migration from a full .NET framework to .NET Core can be costly and even impossible. Not only because of lack of features, but also because once you…