Skip to main content

A hot fix for a Service Bus problem

In this post we will talk about a performance problem that occurred in an application that is using Service Bus On-premises. But the problem and solution is applicable also for any other system that is using not only Service Bus On-premises but also Azure Service Bus.

We have an application that process a specific type of messages that are coming through Service Bus. Our application has a dedicated Topic that is used only by them. A Subscription from another Topic forward automatically the messages to our application topic.
The current requirement requires that we need to write in logs all the messages that we are reading from our Application Subscription, even the one that we don’t need to process. The system that push messages to our Topic, is pushing a lot of messages to our topic, even messages that we don’t need to process, but because we need to log all messages that we receive we add a filter to our Subscription to receive and consume only the messages that we care.
The application cannot scale by adding more instances. Only one instance of our app can run, we can only scale up by adding more horse power (CPU, Memory).

Because of this we can end up with millions of messages, where only 2-3% of them are messages that need to be process. A Topic can reach a limited size and because of the noise that the other system sends to us we end up with millions of messages that stays in the queue.
The application was design in such a way that cannot scale. When the load is medium, we reach easily 3-4M messages in the subscription (it seems that when we reach 4M messages, we start to have stability problem).

What we can do consume all this messages, but reducing the load on our application with minimal costs?
Of course we could say that we should change the system that push messages to not push messages that we don’t need, but this is not possible. Another solution is to add a filter on our subscription to ignore messages that we don’t care, but this is not possible also because we need to log all messages that were send to our Subscription (Topic).

A simple solution that I see, that would be compliant will the given context is to create on our topic one more subscription. On our initial subscription we would add a filter that would accept only the messages that we need to process, and a second subscription that accepts messages that we don’t care, but we need to log.
We can listen to our the second subscription with another application or with even a listener that is running in the same process like our main application and the only thing that he does is to log the message in our logger.

In this way, even if we cannot scale our application, by adding more resources, we can eliminate from our Topic as soon as possible the messages that we don’t care (having control on the size of the Topic/Subscription) - having control on the Topic size.


Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…