Skip to main content

Windows Azure Tools - Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package

Today I had to install Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Azure 1.8 SDK for a new project. Everything went as a charm; I didn’t have any kind of problems. But after a while I realized that I had a project that is written in .NET 4.0 and use Windows Azure 1.6 SDK and an update to 1.8 is in this moment is not possible.
After installing Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Azure 1.8 SDK I tried to run my old project, but without success. In that moment I realize that I have a big problem, because I will not be able to provide support for that project. I uninstall Windows Azure 1.8 SDK, installed 1.6 but without success. I tried to uninstall Visual Studio 2012 with success. After that I accessed Windows Azure web site and download Windows Azure 1.6 SDK and Windows Azure Tools 1.6 but I received an error when I tried to install Windows Azure Tools 1.6.
Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package
I tried to repair Visual Studio 2010, uninstall and reinstall all the kits related to Windows Azure but with the same result when trying to install Windows Azure Tools 1.6.
Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package
I could not use Last Good Know Configuration because installing Visual Studio 2012 and other tools created a lot of restoring points and all of them were from today. I started to think at the “black magic solution”. Clean install of Windows on the current machine or on a virtual machine. But before this I had a great idea.
What about trying to install Windows Azure Tools 1.6 using Microsoft Web Platform Installer. And surprise. I was able to install with success all my tools. In this moment I have the machine in the state that was in this morning.
About Visual Studio 2012 and Windows Azure 1.8 SDK. For now I will create a virtual machine with a cool configuration W8 + VS2012 + Windows Azure 1.8. In the future, I will install as default machine Windows 8 with VS2012, but in this moment my first priority is to offer support to my clients.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…