Skip to main content

Configuration settings from Windows Azure Service Configuration Schema (cscfg) is always null

Last day, one of my colleges had to move some configuration items from application configuration file to cscfg files (Windows Azure Service Configuration Schema).
He tried for some hours to move the configuration to cscfg files but without success. Even if the configuration was done 1 to 1 to the msdn example and the project was built and deployed with success, the configuration could not be accessed.
In the next part of the post I will describes the steps that were done by him:
      1. Identify the configuration that need to be moved in the configuration file:
<add key="BingKey" value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
      2. Create the key definition in the csdef (Windows Azure Service Definition Schema) file:
<ServiceDefinition ..
    <WebRole ...
            <Setting name="BingKey" />
      3. Add the value of the given configuration key to the cscfg file (cloud and also local configuration):
<ServiceConfiguration ...
    <Role ...
            <Setting name="BingKey" value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />
      4. Access the configuration key:
string bingKey = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings[“BingKey”];
Every time when the key is retrieved, the return value is null. If we check the settings, we will notify that we cannot find the “BingKey” through the list of available setting. 
Did you spot the problem?
The configuration was made perfectly; the problem was with at step 4. When we want to access configurations from cscfg file we need to use the RoleEnvironmnet and not the ConfigurationManager. The configurations from cscgf files will not be available through AppSetings collection.
The code should be changed to something like this:
string bingKey = RoleEnvironment.GetConfigurationSettingValue("BingKey");
After this fix everything works perfectly. For more informations about RoleEnvironment please check the following link.


Popular posts from this blog

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Run native .NET application in Docker (.NET Framework 4.6.2)

The main scope of this post is to see how we can run a legacy application written in .NET Framework in Docker.

First of all, let’s define what is a legacy application in our context. By a legacy application we understand an application that runs .NET Framework 3.5 or higher in a production environment where we don’t have any more the people or documentation that would help us to understand what is happening behind the scene.
In this scenarios, you might want to migrate the current solution from a standard environment to Docker. There are many advantages for such a migration, like:

Continuous DeploymentTestingIsolationSecurity at container levelVersioning ControlEnvironment Standardization
Until now, we didn’t had the possibility to run a .NET application in Docker. With .NET Core, there was support for .NET Core in Docker, but migration from a full .NET framework to .NET Core can be costly and even impossible. Not only because of lack of features, but also because once you…