I don’t think Microsoft is bringing Copilot together just to make its product catalogue easier to understand.
The new Home, Code and Autopilot capabilities connect
everyday work, building solutions and persistent agents, with a staged rollout.
But this is not one unlimited licence for everything. GitHub Copilot, for
example, still has separate plans.
Think about preparing a customer proposal. You need
documents, customer information, a cost model and perhaps a small automation.
You want to finish the proposal, not decide which Copilot should handle each
step.
For me, this explains part of the change. The more
interesting part is why Microsoft wants to do it now.
If another AI assistant becomes the place where we start our
work, Microsoft’s applications could become tools running in the background.
Microsoft would still provide the software, but another platform would have the
direct relationship with the user. I see this move as a way to protect that
relationship.
There is a technical connection too. Code uses the same
underlying technology as GitHub Copilot. To me, this is a sign that
capabilities developed for software engineering are becoming useful for broader
business tasks.
Then there is the money. Microsoft combines fixed
subscriptions with usage-based billing. This creates room for revenue to grow
with agent activity, even without more employee licences. For customers, it
means that a simpler experience will not necessarily mean a simpler bill.
What comes next? My guess is fewer decisions about which
tool to open, and more connections between business processes and software
development. I don’t expect specialised tools to disappear. I expect users to
notice the boundaries less.
The part I would watch closely is the cost of getting a task
completed correctly, including retries and human review.
Before scaling, I would start with one process and check who
approves the result, what happens when the agent gets it wrong, and whether it
actually saves effort.
Microsoft is making a case for doing more work inside
Copilot. We still need to decide which work belongs there.

Comments
Post a Comment