Skip to main content

Just deleted an Azure SQL Database by mistake! What's next?

There are times when you make mistakes, big mistakes like…
…deleting an Azure SQL Database…
In this post, we will take a look on what are the steps that needs to be done to recover and restore a deleted database. We are in the context where you have a Standard database, without any special features related to backups.

I just realized that I deleted the wrong database and I do not have any custom backups mechanism configured. What should I do?

Time is crucial 
Time is one of the most important factors. The backups of deleted databases is stored for a limited time. The time window depends based on the instance type. In this time window, you can restore a deleted database without any kind of problems. The retention policies for backups is 7 days for Basic and 35 days for Standard and Premium.
Azure SQL Server created automatically backups to your databases. These backups are used to restore a deleted database. Don’t forget that as for on-premises backups, things can go wrong during the restoration procedures.

Steps to restore the deleted Azure SQL Database
Step 1: Go to your Azure SQL Server instance
Step 2: Navigate to Deleted Databases
Step 3: Select the Azure SQL database that you want to restore and trigger the restoration procedure


  • Don’t forget to rename your database with the previous name. 
  • If the database is to recent, than you might not have a backup to restore (first 30 minutes).
  • User access is persisted and restored.
  • Backups are created automatically.
  • Backups are created on RA-GRS storages (geo-redundancy).
  • The backups system is based a SQL database backup combined with transaction logs.
  • You can reconfigure retention policy up to 10 years (you will need in this case to pay for storage).
  • Transparent data encryption is used for all backups (backups are encrypted), when TDE is active at database level.

Don’t panic if you delete a database. Depending on your database size, you can fully restore it in a few minutes.


Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.