Skip to main content

CMS application for 3 different mobile platforms – Hybrid Mobile Apps + Mobile Services

This days I attended to a session where an idea of a great mobile application was presented. From the technical perspective, the application was very simple, the content that is deliver to the consumer has a great value.

The proposal of the application was 3 different application for each platform (iOS, Android and Windows Phone). When I asked why it is so important to have 3 different native application for an application that has the main purpose to bring content to the users I found up that they need push notification support and all the rest of the content that will be displayed will be loaded from the server (CMS).
Having 3 different native application means that you will need to develop the same application 3 times for 3 different platform…. 3X maintenance 3X more bugs and so on….
In this moment I have a rendevu. I have the feeling that I already wrote about this.
For this kind of application you develop a great HTML5 application. For push notification support it is very easily to create 3 different native applications that has a WebBrowser controller. In this controller you can display the HTML content of your application. Only custom behaviors, like push notification will need to be develop for the specific platforms.
In this way, the applications will be very simple and the costs of developing and maintenance will be very low.
For push notification I recommend to use Mobile Services for Windows Azure. It is a great service that can be used to push a notification to all devices and platforms with minimal development costs.


Popular posts from this blog

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Run native .NET application in Docker (.NET Framework 4.6.2)

The main scope of this post is to see how we can run a legacy application written in .NET Framework in Docker.

First of all, let’s define what is a legacy application in our context. By a legacy application we understand an application that runs .NET Framework 3.5 or higher in a production environment where we don’t have any more the people or documentation that would help us to understand what is happening behind the scene.
In this scenarios, you might want to migrate the current solution from a standard environment to Docker. There are many advantages for such a migration, like:

Continuous DeploymentTestingIsolationSecurity at container levelVersioning ControlEnvironment Standardization
Until now, we didn’t had the possibility to run a .NET application in Docker. With .NET Core, there was support for .NET Core in Docker, but migration from a full .NET framework to .NET Core can be costly and even impossible. Not only because of lack of features, but also because once you…