Skip to main content

[PostEvent] Windows Phone Hackaton, iQuest


Last weekend we organized an internal hackathon (at practice level). Our main scope of this event was to port an application that was developed for iOS and Android to Windows Phone platform. Because there are only few days left until Windows Phone 8.1 update will be released we decided to develop the application directly for Windows Phone 8.1.
During the weekend we had a great time, learning new stacks and how to use Blend. Yes, Blend – it is a great tool for UI, that can help you to create state of the art UI. At the end of this hackathon we were able to deliver a working application, with all the features in place, ready to hit Windows Store.
Let’s see some figures from this event:

  • 5 smart iQuest developers (Gheorghina Gligor, Alexandra Vunvulea, Andrei Bancioiu, Tudor Turcu, Radu Vunvulea)
  • 1 Android developer (Radu Ailincai) 
  • 1 special guest (Paul Tirban)
  • A total of 120h of working
  • 10l of Pepsi
  • A lot of pizza
  • Too much coffee
  • Chocolate everywhere
  • 8 hours of sleep (yes we were able to sleep during the night)
  • And a lot of fun  

Special thanks to all attendees, it was a great weekend where we accomplished something very important:

TEAM WORK

And of course to iQuest that sustained this event.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…