Skip to main content

Windows Azure Cache Service - Configure trace level

These day I started to migrate a Windows Azure application to a new version of SDK. With this occasion we decided to migrate also the cache service to the new service that is now in preview.
After we configured the cache service we was shocked to see in the trace tables a lot of logs from the cache service. Almost all the actions that are done over Windows Azure Cache Service are logged. It seems that this an issues known by Azure team, but they decided to not fix it yet.
The problem with this is that this is creating a lot of noise in the logs tables and even if we tried to set the log level to minimal from cscfg files, it was without success.
<Setting name="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Plugins.Caching.ClientDiagnosticLevel" value="0" />
When this thing don’t work from configuration, the best thing to do is to go to the code and change it. DataCacheClientManager allow us to change the log level pretty easily using the following two methods:
DataCacheClientLogManager.ChangeLogLevel(TraceLevel.Error); 
DataCacheClientLogManager.SetSink(DataCacheTraceSink.DiagnosticSink, TraceLevel.Error);
The first method five us the possibility to set the event tracing level for Windows of this services. The second one, as the name says, give us the possibility to set the tracing level of the cache client.
When you set the value to “Off” you will not receive any kind tracing information from this service.

Last updates: It seems that the only way to not be spammed with cache trace data si to set the level to "Off". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…