Skip to main content

Metro App - Call a Java Script method by name and send the list of params

In a Metro App that I writing in Java Script I wanted to call a function based on the method name that is send as a string. In C# we would need to use reflection but Java Script doesn’t require this think. We can very easily iterate through all the method like in an array and call our method.
obj[“”methodName ]();
obj[“”methodName ](param1, param2, …);
The above example get our method using “[…]” and after that calls our method. This is quite simple and a powerful feature.
But how we should rewrite this code if the parameters list are specified as an array. We want to be able to dynamically call any method and give a list of parameters as an array. If we try something like this:
var params = [param1 , param2];
obj[“”methodName ](params);
we will see that is not working, actually we set only the first parameter as an array, and the rest of parameters will be ‘undefined’. What should we do in this case is to use the apply method. Basically this method permits to specify the list of parameters as an array.
var params = [param1 , param2];
obj[“methodName”].apply(obj, params);
The first parameter need to be object of which the function is called. The second parameter is our array list. We can find another similar method named “call” that do the same think but without specifying the list of parameters (the function don’t have any parameter), but each parameter separately . The next 3 examples are equivalent for a function that doesn’t have any parameters:
obj[“methodName”].apply(obj, [param1]);
obj[“methodName”].call(obj, param1);
What we achieved? We are able to call dynamically any Java Script method based on a string name and an array of parameters.


Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

Fundamental Books of a Software Engineer (version 2018)

More then six years ago I wrote a blog post about fundamental books that any software engineer (developer) should read. Now it is an excellent time to update this list with new entries.

There are 5 different categories of books, that represent the recommended path. For example, you start with Coding books, after that, you read books about Programming, Design and so on.
There are some books about C++ that I recommend not because you shall know C++, only because the concepts that you can learn from it.


Writing solid codeCode completeProgramming Pearls, more programming pearls(recommended)[NEW] Introduction to Algorithms


Refactoring (M. Fowler)Pragmatic ProgrammerClean code[NEW] Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach[NEW] The Mythical Man-Month[NEW] The Art of Computer Programming


Applying UML and Patterns (GRASP patterns)C++ coding standards (Sutter, Alexandrescu)The C++ programming language (Stroustrup, Part IV)Object-oriented programming (Peter Coad)P…