Skip to main content

Metro App - Binding error on field "id"

After Visual Studio 2012 was launched one of the first things that I tried was to write a Metro App in Java Script. I started to write an application that get an Azure Table content and display it in a grid. Of course to be able to display data from a source we need to define a data structure.
So, I started to define a list with some items that I binding to the UI.
var myItems = [
{ id: 1, name: "Tom", age: 20},
{ id: 2, name: "Jack", age: 23},
{ id: 3, name: "Maria", age: 19},
];
After I bounded the data to the UI I hit F5 and surprise. Visual Studio hit me with an error that doesn’t give you any kind of information about the cause of the error.
{
"exception":null,
"error":
{
"description":"Null item"
},
"promise":
{
"_value":
{
"description":"Null item"
},
"_isException":false,
"_errorId":3
},
"id":3
}
This error is thrown by terminate application handler function. Because of this we cannot see any information about the exact line of the error. In the first moment I checked to see if the id field is null or if I bounded correctly, but everything seems to be okay.
The next thing that I tried was to rename the id field to something else. In my case I replaced with a field named “key”. When I hit F5 I was surprised that everything was up and running.
In conclusion, when you are using data that are binding to the UI, don’t use reserved names for the fields like “id”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…