Skip to main content

Lesson learned after the Azure bill is 2 times more than normal

Small things make the difference - Azure Billing Alerts 

In the last 3 months a part of the team was blocked with some urgent tasks. Because of this they didn’t had time anymore to review the Azure Services Instances that are running under the development and testing subscription.
The rest of the team didn’t check the costs and/or review the services that are running on Azure. In the context where the people that used to check this were blocked with other tasks generates cost that are 2 time more than the normal ones – even if only half of the team is working in this time period on development.

Of course the best solution was that somebody would check this and the responsibility to be passed to another person, but it didn’t happen. A better approach is to have a team that knows that running services on a cloud provider generates costs and they should all the time review what services they are using and turn off the ones that are not used.
But this didn’t happen of course.

There are 3 lessons learns from this story:

  • Cultivate inside the team - ‘responsibility’. People should all the time care about this thing and do this checks pro-actively (for the resources that were created and used by them).  
  • Identify and have all the time a person that is responsible to check the current bill.
  • Use Azure Billing Alert – It allows us to set an alert (email alert) that is send automatically to one or two emails address in the moment when the threshold

Azure Billing Alerts it’s a preview feature from Azure, that allows us to specify to send an email to maximum 2 custom different email addresses when the bill value reaches a specific value. In this moment this service is free and allows us to configure maximum 5 alerts.
We decided to configure 5 different alerts and different values.  We set a custom message to each alert that specifies that this is a real alert only if the alert is send before a specific day in the month. For example, it is normal to reach 100$ consumption after 4 days, but if after 1 day you already reach 100$ than you might have a problem.

What other ways to prevent this kind of situation do you see?

Comments

  1. There should be a setting to automatically cap/limit the resources used by a subscription to a maximum, at least for those scenarios where the budget is limited..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have this possibility. But you cannot stop the development for 10 days because the cap was reached.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

[Post-Event] Codecamp Conference Cluj-Napoca - Nov 19, 2016

Last day I was invited to another Codecamp Conference, that took place in Cluj-Napoca. Like other Codecamp Conferences, the event was very big, with more than 1.000 participants and 70 sessions. There were 10 tracks in parallel, so it was pretty hard to decide at  what session you want to join.
It was great to join this conference and I hope that you discovered something new during the conference.
At this event I talked about Azure IoT Hub and how we can use it to connect devices from the field. I had a lot of demos using Raspberry PI 3 and Simplelink SensorTag. Most of the samples were written in C++ and Node.JS and people were impressed that even if we are using Microsoft technologies, we are not limited to C# and .NET. World and Microsoft are changing so fast. Just looking and Azure IoT Hub and new features that were launched and I'm pressed (Jobs, Methods, Device Twin).
On backend my demos covered Stream Analytics, Event Hub, Azure Object Storage and DocumentDB.

Title:
What abo…