Skip to main content

Visual Studio Online - Short review after 6 months of usage

There are more than 6 months from the moment when we started to use Visual Studio Online for a real project. Until then we use it only internally on small internal projects. Nothing real.
Initially I wrote a post about our first impression related to VS Online. More about this can be found on the following post http://vunvulearadu.blogspot.ro/2015/01/first-impression-of-visual-studio-online.html
Initially we started with an estimated team of 4-7 people. This was our initial estimation, 6 months ago:
Build Duration: 20 minutes
Working window on a day: 10 hours
Number of build per day: 30 builds
Number of developers: 4-7 people
Number of days per month: 23 days
Total minutes per month: 13.800 minutes
Minutes cost: 60 minutes free + 1140 minutes at 0.0373e + 12600 minutes at 0.0075e
Cost: 0 + 1140*0.0373+12600*0.0075 
Total Cost: 137.022e

Now, let's see how reality looks like. All information is from the billing information and is 100% real. No estimations, actual facts (smile).
Costs (June):
Build time consumed in the last month: 1994 minutes - 48.81e
Basic Users: 27.39e
Total: 76.2e

Costs (May):
Build time consumed in the last month: 6006 minutes - 78.69e
Basic Users: 14.89e
Total: 93.58e

In June a new fellow joined the team and we had to increase the number allocated licences with 1 for VS Online.  This is why the price of Basic Users has increased.
The number of build time minutes decreased not because we don't work anymore on the project, but because we decided to create a nightly build where integration tests are run and a light build that runs at every check-in. This is how we were able to save more than 4.000 minutes per month.
Yes, we are still under our estimations even if we have the following setup:

  • Number of VS Users: 9 (5 Free, 3 Paid, 1 MSDN ('free'))
  • Number of project in solution: 50 projects
  • Number of lines of code: 8900 lines (we excluded comments, extra space lines, usings lines and things like this)
  • Number of tests: 217 tests
  • Cyclomatic complexity: ~80
  • Maintainability index: 87 
From the usability perspective, VS Online is pretty nice. You have almost all the things that you need to be able to develop, manage and control a proiect. We still don't have an automatically deployment step after nightly build, but we are planning to add it in the near future.


In this moment I would say that from the costs perspective we are in a pretty good range, in the context where we don't need and manage the source control and build server.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to check in AngularJS if a service was register or not

There are cases when you need to check in a service or a controller was register in AngularJS.
For example a valid use case is when you have the same implementation running on multiple application. In this case, you may want to intercept the HTTP provider and add a custom step there. This step don’t needs to run on all the application, only in the one where the service exist and register.
A solution for this case would be to have a flag in the configuration that specify this. In the core you would have an IF that would check the value of this flag.
Another solution is to check if a specific service was register in AngularJS or not. If the service was register that you would execute your own logic.
To check if a service was register or not in AngularJS container you need to call the ‘has’ method of ‘inhector’. It will return TRUE if the service was register.
if ($injector.has('httpInterceptorService')) { $httpProvider.interceptors.push('httpInterceptorService&#…

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

[Post-Event] Codecamp Conference Cluj-Napoca - Nov 19, 2016

Last day I was invited to another Codecamp Conference, that took place in Cluj-Napoca. Like other Codecamp Conferences, the event was very big, with more than 1.000 participants and 70 sessions. There were 10 tracks in parallel, so it was pretty hard to decide at  what session you want to join.
It was great to join this conference and I hope that you discovered something new during the conference.
At this event I talked about Azure IoT Hub and how we can use it to connect devices from the field. I had a lot of demos using Raspberry PI 3 and Simplelink SensorTag. Most of the samples were written in C++ and Node.JS and people were impressed that even if we are using Microsoft technologies, we are not limited to C# and .NET. World and Microsoft are changing so fast. Just looking and Azure IoT Hub and new features that were launched and I'm pressed (Jobs, Methods, Device Twin).
On backend my demos covered Stream Analytics, Event Hub, Azure Object Storage and DocumentDB.

Title:
What abo…