Skip to main content

Visual Studio Online and Team City - How to integrate them

Until now I played with Team City and different versions of TFS and GIT that were installed on premises. Today I wanted something more, I decided to connect Visual Studio Online TFS repository to my own Team City instance.
Unfortunately, I discover that even if it is possible, we need to do a special configuration to our Visual Studio Online account for that.
Below, you can find a short tutorial about what you need to do if you want to connect your Visual Studio Online repository to Team City.

TFS URL
The TFS URL that you need to use is the following, where [accountName] needs to be replaced with you own account name.
https://[accountName].visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/

ROOT
The TFS path to your repository. In my case the path was following:
$/mssummit2014/CoolWebSite/
This can be obtained very easily from Source Control Explorer windows of Visual Studio.

USERNAME
Surprise. You cannot use by default your LIVE credentials. To be able to connect you will need to use and activate “ALTERNATE AUTHENTICATION CREDENTIALS” from Visual Studio Online portal. To be able to activate them, you need to go login on Visual Studio Online portal, go to your profile and select ‘Credentials’ tab. You’ll need to activate this feature from here, don’t forget to not use the same password as your use for your live account.

Also, I recommend to set a secondary username that can be used to connect to your account. In this way you add a little more protection to your account. The secondary user can be deleted or change is you credentials are hacked.
After you done this configuration, you can set the username with the following format:
##LIVE##\[seccondaryUsername]
Where [seccondaryUsername] is the secondary username that you crated in the portal, few seconds ago.

PASSWORD
The password that you set at previous step.



Done! Enjoy Team City!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…