Skip to main content

[Post Event] Global Day of Code Retreat 2013, December 14th,

Last Saturday I participate to a Code Retreat. This event was part of the “Global Day of Code Retreat 2013” where over 2.200 people participate. The Cluj-Napoca event was organized by RABS in collaboration with Codecamp, Cluj.rb, Agile Works and Functional Programmers Cluj-Napoca.
We had 5 rounds where we resolve the classic Code Retreat problem – The Game of Live. During this rounds I had the opportunity to exercise and learn new things not only related to TDD but also related to how you should approach a problem. I had the opportunity to resolve the problem in C#, Java, JavaScript and Typescript.
The round that I enjoyed the most was the one where you could not to talk with your college. In a situations like this it is crucial to name your classes, methods and TEST UNIT methods very explicit and good. From the code quality perspective and the way how we resolve the problem, I had the feeling that that round was the best one ever.
The most important think that I learned was: small steps are the most important thing. It is more easily to resolve a problem when you make ‘baby steps’. Also when you are making small the code is clearer and well written. Not only this, but the quality of the tests increased drastically.
It is great that a simple problem like that can be resolved in thousands of way, each time differently and with the same energy.

I would like to congratulate all the participants and also the organizers.
Great job all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…