Skip to main content

Subscription count - (Part 7) Testing the limits of Windows Azure Service Bus

Let’s talk about Windows Azure Service Bus and the numbers of subscriptions that a topic can have. I started to prepare a POC for a possible client and it is possible to end up with hundreds of subscriptions on each topic.
Looking over the documentation from MSDN, each topic supports 2000 subscriptions. I wanted to see what is happening with the latency of each subscription if we have over 1000 of them per topic.
To find an answer to my question, I started to write a worker role that:
Creates a new subscription
Sends a message to the topic
Receives a message using the first subscription
I measured how long it takes to send a message to a topic that has 1, 2, … , 2000 subscriptions. The same think I’ve done for the first subscription of the topic. I measured how long it takes to read a message from it when we have 1,2, … , 200 subscriptions.
The code is extremely simple but the results are very interesting.
The first diagram shows how long the send and receive commands took. The blue color is for the send request to the topic and the orange one is for receive command for the first subscription of the topic. The AX represent the number of subscriptions per topic and the OY represent how long a command took (in milliseconds).
As you can see, the command latency doesn’t increase too much. Even for 2000 subscriptions the latency is under 100 milliseconds.
The next diagram show the average latency when we have 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 subscriptions. Based on this result we observe that the latency increases with a factor under 1.5X.
We can say that we can use this service in our business scenarios for 2000 subscribers without a problem. The latency increases only with a factor that is under 1.5X. We could have a problem if the latency would increase with a factor of 10X or 100X. But we are in a safe zone.
It seems that Service Bus is a real cloud service that scales and works excellent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine:
threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration:

TeamCity.NET 4.51EF 6.0.2VS2013
It seems that there …

Entity Framework (EF) TransactionScope vs Database.BeginTransaction

In today blog post we will talk a little about a new feature that is available on EF6+ related to Transactions.
Until now, when we had to use transaction we used ‘TransactionScope’. It works great and I would say that is something that is now in our blood.
using (var scope = new TransactionScope(TransactionScopeOption.Required)) { using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection("...")) { conn.Open(); SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(); sqlCommand.Connection = conn; sqlCommand.CommandText = ... sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(); ... } scope.Complete(); } Starting with EF6.0 we have a new way to work with transactions. The new approach is based on Database.BeginTransaction(), Database.Rollback(), Database.Commit(). Yes, no more TransactionScope.
In the followi…

GET call of REST API that contains '/'-slash character in the value of a parameter

Let’s assume that we have the following scenario: I have a public HTTP endpoint and I need to post some content using GET command. One of the parameters contains special characters like “\” and “/”. If the endpoint is an ApiController than you may have problems if you encode the parameter using the http encoder.
using (var httpClient = new HttpClient()) { httpClient.BaseAddress = baseUrl; Task<HttpResponseMessage> response = httpClient.GetAsync(string.Format("api/foo/{0}", "qwert/qwerqwer"))); response.Wait(); response.Result.EnsureSuccessStatusCode(); } One possible solution would be to encode the query parameter using UrlTokenEncode method of HttpServerUtility class and GetBytes method ofUTF8. In this way you would get the array of bytes of the parameter and encode them as a url token.
The following code show to you how you could write the encode and decode methods.
publ…